The mission of Asian Pacific Environmental Network (APEN) is the education, advocacy, and mobilization of voters in the Asian Pacific American community towards environmental, social and economic justice for all. APEN is based in Oakland, California.
APEN seeks to hire a team of outreach workers to participate in APEN’s civic engagement program. This is a temporary part-time position. The program’s goal is to increase the civic participation of low-income Asian immigrant communities in California. Outreach Workers will be talking to Asian households and convincing them to take action on issues that impact poor people, immigrants, and communities of color in California.
This position is part-time, no more than 35 hours a week, lasting 7 weeks starting February 26, 2020 with the exact schedule TBA. The hourly rate is $16, with no benefits. Lunch or dinner is included on each workday. This job is based in Oakland and requires walking in the neighborhood.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
- Talk to hundreds of people a day about issues facing low-income communities.
- Data entry of call results.
- Logistical support and set-up and break-down for phonebanks.
- Complete accurate daily reports.
- Commitment to the mission and principles of APEN and to social justice.
- Fluent in English, bilingual/biliterate in an Asian language preferred
- Strong motivation and adaptability, including the ability to work under pressure and with deadlines.
- Basic computer skills, ability to complete web forms.
- Able to work weekday evenings (4PM to 9PM), and some weekends (daytime).
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- Experience working in Asian immigrant communities
- Able to give and receive constructive feedback
- Multilingual (Asian language) applicants a plus.
Applications: Please submit resume by email to APEN c/o firstname.lastname@example.org with “Spring 2020 Bilingual Outreach Worker” in the subject line. Application Deadline: Open until filled. Start Date: February 26, 2020.
APEN is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, gay, lesbian, transgender and gender nonconforming persons are encouraged to apply.