**The mission of Asian Pacific Environmental Network (APEN) is the education, advocacy, and mobilization of voters in the Asian Pacific American community towards environmental, social and economic justice for all. APEN is based in Oakland, California.
APEN seeks to hire a team of outreach workers to participate in APEN’s civic engagement program. This is a temporary part-time position. The program’s goal is to increase the civic participation of low-income Asian immigrant communities in California. The Outreach Team Leader will be leading a team of Bilingual Outreach Workers in talking to Asian households and convincing them to take action on issues that impact poor people, immigrants, and communities of color in California.
This position is part-time, no more than 35 hours a week, starting as early as Feb 18, 2020, regular work and ending April 8, 2020, Sunday through Thursday, with the exact schedule TBA. This job is based in Oakland and requires walks in the neighborhood. The hourly rate is $22, with no benefits. Lunch or dinner is included on each workday. Work schedules are 3 pm-9:30 pm for weekdays and weekend during the daytime. Shifts available on weekdays and some weekends.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
- Talk to hundreds of people a day about issues facing low-income communities.
- Supervise and schedule a team of outreach workers.
- Complete daily reports based on results from the outreach team.
- Provide support and troubleshooting for technology used by the outreach team.
- Train outreach team on policy, technology, and canvass skills.
- If able, support interpretation of team meetings and activities.
- Commitment to the mission and principles of APEN and to social justice.
- Fluent in English, bilingual/biliterate in an Asian language preferred
- Strong motivation and adaptability, including the ability to work under pressure and with deadlines.
- Basic computer skills, ability to complete web forms.
- Able to work our full canvass shifts Monday to Thursday (3 PM to 9:30 PM) including additional weekend hours. Exact hours to be finalized.
Desired Qualifications and Skills
- Experience working in Asian immigrant communities
- Able to give and receive constructive feedback
- Multilingual (Asian language) applicants a plus.
**Applications: Please submit resume by email to APEN c/o firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline: open until filled. Start date: Feb 18, 2020.**
APEN is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, gay, lesbian, transgender and gender nonconforming persons are encouraged to apply.