The Asian Pacific Environmental Network (APEN) is looking for a creative and driven operations professional to help grow the power of grassroots Asian immigrant and refugee communities to advance environmental, social and economic justice. This is a full-time position based in Oakland, CA and will require a small amount of travel. The Coordinator will report to the Operations Director, and will work closely with the operations team and program staff.
APEN was founded in 1993 with the belief that all of us have the right to a clean and healthy environment, in which we can live, work, learn, play and thrive. APEN amplifies the voice of poor and working class community members, setting the agenda for environmental, social and economic justice. By building an organized movement, we are bringing fundamental changes to economic and social institutions to make them prioritize public good over profits and honor the right of every person to a decent, safe, affordable quality of life, and the right to participate in decisions affecting our lives. APEN holds this vision of environmental justice for all people.
The primary goals of the Operations Coordinator are to help to build and support a solid organizational infrastructure for the APEN team and our community members. The Operations Coordinator will successfully manage our 3 distinct APEN office facilities so we are better equipped to execute our program work; maintain our strong internal finance and benefits administration; and manage our technology for all staff, working with external consultants as needed.
Applicants must be committed to APEN’s mission and values and be a creative problem solver, have a keen attention to detail, have strong project management skills and work well with others. A track record of social justice and/or community work is preferred.
- Manage smooth office functioning to ensure effectiveness and efficiency
- Improve efficiency of space and workflow of APEN satellite facilities
- Act as liaison to landlords and subleases for maintenance, questions, procedures updates
- Train staff and volunteers on use of office and event equipment
- Troubleshoot office equipment issues
- Create solid systems and oversee all vendor billing charges
- Coordinate with Finance Coordinator in accounts payable/receivable tasks
- Collect timesheets and track lobbying hours, staff vacation and sick time balance; submit reports to bookkeeping staff
- Administer payroll, craft staff payroll memos and act as liaison for 401k benefit and tracking
- Work to ensure proper 501(c)3 tax status and electoral reporting compliance
- Set-up, maintain and secure computers, servers and networks for all offices
- Plan and implement technology backup and security procedures
- Coordinate with tech consultants and other vendors for additional support, repairs and system backup
- Research, purchase and set up new computers, equipment and software
- Coordinate initial steps of all staff hiring, including posting job announcements, receiving distributing and filing resumes, scheduling interviews and responding to candidates
Secondary Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead office and technology orientations for all staff
- Maintain vendor relations and files, research new vendors as necessary
- Explore emerging uses of technology in organizing through trainings and conferences
- Maintain a pulse on ongoing and discreet office needs
- Support Operations Associates with logistics for member meetings and organizational events
- Assist in prepping for full staff meetings, planning advances and events
- Participate in various areas of work within the organization, as identified
- 2 or more years experience in an operations or support role – preferably in a social justice organization.
- A background and skills in supervising staff or volunteers and managing consultants.
- Commitment to working with low-income immigrant communities of color.
- Excellent project management.
- Ability to manage details and meet deadlines.
- Self-starter and self-directed while committed to organizational infrastructure building.
Salary and Benefits
Salary DOE. APEN also offers a generous benefits package that includes: health, dental and vision (domestic partner coverage available); vacation and sick time; and an opportunity to qualify for a sabbatical. APEN is a family-friendly employer.
Applications are due electronically (please use subject line “Operations Coordinator hire”) to Chiravann Uch at chiravann(AT)apen4ej(DOT)org
The email must include:
- Cover letter describing interest in the position and qualifications
- Three references
APEN is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, queer, and gender non-conforming people strongly encouraged to apply.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.