Asian Pacific Environmental Network (APEN) Policy Director – Full Time
APEN was founded in 1993 with the belief that all of us have the right to a clean and healthy environment, in which we can live, work, learn, play and thrive. APEN amplifies the voice of low-income community members, setting the agenda for environmental, social and economic justice. By building an organized movement, we are bringing fundamental changes to economic and social institutions to make them prioritize public good over profits and honor the right of every person to a decent, safe, affordable quality of life, and the right to participate in decisions affecting our lives. APEN holds this vision of environmental justice for all people.
The Policy Director builds the power of API immigrants and refugees by advancing APEN’s state policy via regulatory and legislative campaigns. The position requires the ability to develop a multi-pronged strategy as well as a commitment to climate justice, energy equity, environmental justice and housing for all. The position works closely with other APEN staff to integrate policy with statewide organizing, local organizing, base-building, leadership development, and movement building. The position reports to the Executive Director and manages the policy team.
PRIMARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy and Advocacy:
- Support Executive Director in strategic planning and evaluating/refining policy agenda to meet overall mission
- Develop and maintain systems that monitor the effectiveness of APEN’s policy and goals and strategies
- Develop and lead legislative implementation of APEN’s policy agenda working with all parts of the organization
- Involved organizational partners in APEN legislative policy campaigns
- Regularly evaluate legislative policy campaign outcomes and impacts in relation to regulatory and local policies
- Write policy briefs, fact sheets, and reports as needed
- Work with APEN staff, members, consultants and allies to draft legislation
- Prepare, assist and/or give presentations
- Supervise the Local Policy Associate, Senior Policy Researcher and policy consultants
- Lead the Policy Team and participate in state team and other teams as needed to help plan and coordinate APEN’s organization-wide work
- Support development of case statements with Development Director and aid in fundraising as needed
- Work with staff on communications strategy to raise organizational objectives
- Support various areas of work within APEN as needed
Campaigns and Coalitions
- Grow the number of APEN’s policy alliances into more diverse immigrant and new constituencies and new areas of California
- In partnership with APEN organizing and state teams create and implement strategies to advance policy objectives through legislative processes
- Expand organizational relationships with elected officials, agencies, and staff to advance policy objectives
- Work with APEN staff, allies, and other partners to organize key constituencies in support of mutual policy goals through meetings, briefings, conferences, and relationship building activities
- Conduct legislative campaign research and technical assessments with internal teams and partners
- Represent APEN in key coalitions and stakeholder groups and meetings
- Holds a deep commitment to APEN’s mission and the Principles of Environmental Justice;
- Proven success as a highly skilled manager;
- Substantive understanding of the legislative process, advocacy techniques, legislative strategy, and policymaking Direct knowledge and understanding of how to build grassroots and political power through base-building, civic engagement, and movement building;
- Familiarity with the relevant CA legislative committees;
- Embodies self-confidence and the capacity to proactively create and independently move forward a complex agenda;
- Ability to identify and set priorities in line with our goals and strategic direction;
- Holds an understanding of how advocacy fits in to effective organizing and issue campaigns
- Excellent oral and written communications skills;
- Successful track record of at least 5-7 years in: supervisory experience, and comparable policy/legislative program/campaign experience;
- Leadership and communication skills (both written and verbal) with the ability to facilitate understanding across multiple audiences;
- Ability to develop a team-oriented environment; commitment to democratic participation.
- Background and policy expertise in energy and climate change is preferred
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary range $70k-85k, DOE. APEN also offers its staff a generous benefits package that includes, health, dental and vision; vacation and sick time; 401k contributions and an opportunity to qualify for a sabbatical. APEN is a family-friendly employer.
Applications are due electronically. Please email with subject line “Policy Director” to email@example.com. The email must include:
- Cover letter describing interest in the position, qualifications and salary history
- Three references, including at least one previous supervisor.
Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
APEN is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, queer, and gender non-conforming people strongly encouraged to apply.