Full Time – Position Open Until Filled
The Asian Pacific Environmental Network (APEN) is looking for a dynamic organizer to grow the power of grassroots Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities to advance environmental, economic and climate justice. This is a full-time position based in Oakland, CA and will require some travel. The State Policy Organizer will report to the Policy Director and will work closely with program staff and statewide leaders.
APEN was founded in 1993 with the belief that all of us have the right to a clean and healthy environment, in which we can live, work, learn, play and thrive. APEN amplifies the voice of low-income community members, setting the agenda for environmental, social and economic justice. By building an organized movement, we are bringing fundamental changes to economic and social institutions to make them prioritize public good over profits and honor the right of every person to a decent, safe, affordable quality of life, and the right to participate in decisions affecting our lives. APEN holds this vision of environmental justice for all people.
The primary goals of the State Policy Organizer is to build a more powerful base of progressive Asian Americans, engage with state coalitions and other state partners, advance state policy campaigns, and support the State Team’s infrastructure. Applicants must be committed to APEN’s mission and be organized, detail-oriented and have a demonstrated ability to organize people to action. A track record of environmental justice work, familiarity with the AAPI community and state policy, and training experience is preferred.
State Policy Organizing
- Develop content for state policy organizing campaigns and related integrated voter engagement programs
- Mobilize support for and coordinate actions with state campaign partners for policy campaigns i.e. petitions, support letters, lobby days, workshops and town halls
- Develop expertise in state policy priorities
- Develop and implement a range of political education and skills-building trainings for membership base to support in their understanding of and engagement with policy campaigns
- Build strong and meaningful relationships with coalition partners
- Advocate and mobilize organizational support for state policy campaigns
- Coordinate policy campaign activities
- Coordinate with APEN staff teams on larger organizational priorities
- Support in the development of communications content engaging coalition partners and our membership base
- Three or more years experience in campaign organizing or community organizing
- Commitment to environmental justice, climate solutions, and feminist values
- Training or facilitation experience
- Familiarity with state policy and the legislative process
- Organized and a self-starter while committed to collaboration
- Ability to manage details, meet deadlines and problem-solve
- Clear, engaging communicator with diverse audiences
Salary and Benefits Salary DOE. APEN also offers a generous benefits package that includes: health, dental and vision (domestic partner coverage available); vacation and sick time; and an opportunity to qualify for a sabbatical. APEN is a family-friendly employer.
Application Process Applications are due electronically (please use subject line “State Policy Organizer” to email@example.com. The email must include:
- Cover letter describing interest in the position and qualifications
- Three references
APEN is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, queer, and gender non-conforming people strongly encouraged to apply. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.